Remove shortcut virus from the USB drive, Pendrive, Laptop, Pc: Most of the Pc users are now searching for “How to Remove shortcut virus from their Pc, Laptop, Drives”. Shortcut virus is very annoying, If your Pc, Laptop or drive has shortcut virus then all your important folders and files are converted into Shortcut folders and Shortcut files on your Pc/Laptop or Pendrive. You may feel annoying to delete these shortcut files and folders every time, Within a few seconds after deleting the shortcut files, those shortcut files will re-appear. After undergoing small research about shortcut virus.
Here I’m writing history about Shortcut Virus, Its Impacts on Pc, Drives, and methods to remove shortcut virus permanently from Laptop, USB, and Pendrives. Finally, People who are searching for methods to remove shortcut virus from the computer, drives, disks permanently without losing data will find successful solutions here.
Best Possible Ways to Remove Shortcut Virus from my Laptop, Computer, Desktop, Pc, Pendrives, USB, Hard disk Permanently Without Losing Data and Deleting Files.
Before we see the methods of removing the shortcut virus from your Pc/Laptop. Know the facts and important information about Shortcut virus.
What is a Shortcut Virus?
Shortcut virus is a program that spreads mainly through USB flash drives, Pendrives. But there are many more ways that this virus can get into your Pc or Laptop. When you click on this shortcut file, It creates a replica of your original files and folders and then it multiples, generates more virus into Pc. This virus cannot be removed by simply deleting or by any software as it comes back again and again. So you need to look at this permanent solution to remove shortcut virus from your computer.
What is the source of the shortcut virus?
This shortcut virus has no perfect origin, this may enter into Pc, Laptop, Pendrives, Flashdrives, Sd card from the internet, browsers, third-party software etc.. Below following are the main sources of Pc getting infected with shortcut virus.
Unprotected Pc/Computer: Shortcut Virus enters into your pen drive when you are using them on multiple unprotected Pc/Laptop like Computers in Netcafe, Browsing center etc…
Unknown Untrusted Softwares: Downloading and Using software that is not from trusted and unknown sources may have malicious scripts like shortcut virus.
Antivirus Update: Update your antivirus up to date, as new updates have more definitions that will protect your pc harmful viruses and trojans etc…
USB Storage devices: Don’t ever use Pendrives without scanning as they may contain a virus which makes your Pc/Laptop also affected.
So it is better to stop using Pendrives on unprotected Pc/Laptop, Computers, Use pen drives with scanning for viruses, don’t download and use untrusted software and update your antivirus to keep your computer safe from trojans and viruses.
Types of Shorcut Viruses, What to do when a shortcut virus infects your computer?
We observed three different types of Viruses. Drive Shortcut Virus, Folder Shortcut Virus, File Shortcut Virus. The impacts of shortcut viruses are not known clearly sometimes these shortcut viruses makes files inaccessible, leads to data loss, may steal your personal information. Primarily you need to have updated antivirus software to be protected from unknown viruses. Shortcut viruses can be stopped from entering into Pc by antivirus software when they are detected. So get an updated antivirus to safeguard your pc/laptop. If there is a problem in removing shortcut virus by antivirus software. You can make use of below methods.
How to Remove Shortcut Virus Permanently from PC/Laptop, Pen-drive, USB flash drive, SD card, Hard Drive, Windows Computer Without Losing Data
Below 6 methods helps to remove shortcut virus permanently and works effectively on Storage devices, USB Device, Pendrive, Flashdrive, SD Card, Hard Drive, Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1/7/Xp PC/Laptop.
Method 1: Remove Shortcut Virus using CMD (Command Prompt Method)
Follow the below steps to Fix Shortcut Virus Folder, Remove the shortcut virus using the Windows Command Prompt (CMD) method
- Launch Command Prompt as an administrator. Press Windows Button and type CMD in search and now right click on Command Prompt and “Run as Administrator”.
- Identify the Storage device ( USB drive, Flash Drive, Memory Card, SD Card) drive letter and type following command in command prompt. [Example:- f:]
- Now type: attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:\*.* (Replace f: with the drive letter of your drive)
- Press enter.
- Your files will be seen as normal.
- If you are seeing shortcut virus again in your external storage device your pc may be also infected.
Method 2: Remove Shortcut Virus from USB, Pc/Laptop With Shortcut Virus Remover Software
If you are not familiar with using Command Prompt and its commands there is tool named Shortcut Virus Remover which helps in doing above job method with no errors.
- Download Shortcut Virus Remover Tool here.
- Extract the package and install the software onto your Pc/Laptop.
- Now go to desktop and find the Shortcut Virus Software app and open it.
- Enter the Flash Drive Letter and Hit on Clean Virus and Yes.
- Now all your files are normal.
Method 3: Remove Shortcut Virus Permanently from Pc, USB, Drives using a .Bat file
It is very much simpler and easier to create .bat file and with a single click, you can remove the shortcut virus permanently from your Pc/Laptop, USB devices without losing data.
- Open Notepad or Notepad++.
- Type the following lines
- @echo off
- attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d Drivename:*.*
- attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d Drivename:*.*
- attrib -h -s -r -a /s /d Drivename:*.*
- @echo complete
- Here replace the Drivename with Drive you would like to remove shortcut virus.
- Now save the file giving it an extension of .bat.
- Then double click the saved file.
- All the shortcut virus will be removed and files are reverted back to normal.
Method 4: Permanently remove shortcut virus from your Windows computer.
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Click on the Processes tab, find “.exe.”
- Select it and then click End Process.
- Open Run dialog box (Win + R key), type regedit.
- This will open the Registry Editor.
- Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software ->Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Run.
- Look for a registry key named “odwcamszas.exe” (You may also find other similar garbage names), Delete it.
Method 5: Remove Shortcut Virus From Pc/Laptop using Latest Updated Antivirus Software
All above 4 methods can easily remove shortcut virus from external storage devices such as USB, Pendrives, Hard disks. Even though, If you are seeing again the shortcut virus in your pen drive after removing and fixing. Your Pc/Laptop may also have a shortcut virus. Latest Updated antivirus software cleans your pc by removing shortcut virus. You can use any updated antivirus software such as McAfee, Avast, Kaspersky etc… See here for Best Antivirus Apps for Mobiles, Smartphones. Sometimes the virus might be undetectable by antivirus program then perform full system and boot time scan.
Method 6: Remove Shortcut Virus By Formatting Pc, PenDrive, Memory Card
Follow this method only when required and all the above methods don’t work for you. This method removes shortcut virus permanently from the Pc/laptop, USB, Pendrive, Harddisk. It involves data lose so prefer this method of removing shortcut virus.
- Format all the disks available on pc and reinstall operating systems if stored files are not important.
- Similarly, format the pen drive, if the stored files not as much important.
Hope the above methods helps to Remove shortcut virus from Pc with Windows Os. Fix or Delete Shortcut Virus from USB Drive, Pendrives, Storage devices, Sd cards, T-Flash cards permanently without losing data. Depending on devices above methods may or may not work so try all the methods required. After successfully removing shortcut virus from Pc/Laptop install updated antivirus software to protect from future viruses and malware. Avoid using Drives and Disks in unprotected environments.